Interesting new app – Be My Eyes
Be My Eyes is a free app that connects blind and low vision people with sighted volunteers and company representatives for visual assistance through a live video call. ClickÂ here for more information and to download the app for iOS and Andriod.
FREE ONLINE COURSE – APRIL 2018
The Planning and Managing of Eye Care Services
Starting April 2018, the Education Development Unit at the University of Cape Town, in collaboration with the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, is excited to announce the development and publication of a free online course titled âThe Planning and Managing of Eye Care Servicesâ aimed at health professionals involved in eye care.
There are millions of people who are blind or visually impaired, 75% of cases which could be avoided (WHO, Vision2020). In this free online course, the key facts about being visually impaired are highlighted, along withÂ global initiatives which attempt to address these.
The outcomes of the course are to:
- Examine the epidemiology of blindness and visual impairment globally and locally
- Relate to global initiatives to tackle blindness, such as VISION 2020: The Right to Sight and the WHO Global Action Plan 2014 â 2019
- Evaluate the key disease control strategies for effective cataract and refractive error service provision, applicable within local settings
- Understand and apply the essentials of the planning process for strengthening eye care service
- Apply the principles of monitoring and evaluation to a local programme.
In addition to publishing this free online course, a companion course on digital literacy will be published. Digital literacy is seen as âthe capabilities which fit someone for living, learning and working in a digital societyâ (JISC, 2015). Both these courses will be run independently and would be available for free to anyone.
If you would be interested in participating in the Eye Care Services course, register your interest here.
Lastly, to assist us to run the digital literacy course as effectively as possible, could you please let us know which topics would be most useful to you by completing this short 2 minute survey 256-729-9186.